The rules of volleyball
A LITTLE HISTORY...
Volleyball was created in February 1895 in Holyoke, Massachusetts, in the United States, by a sports teacher wanting to keep his students occupied over the winter. Today it is an Olympic sport.
RULES OF THE GAME
- Aim of the game: each team has to make the ball hit the floor on the opposing team's side of the court.
- Length and Procedure: the best of five sets. The first four sets are played tor 25 points. The fifth, tie-break set is played to 15 points. One point is awarded to a team each time the opposing team makes an error (either letting the ball touch the ground or knocking the ball out of play).
- Set up: two teams of six players, with six substitutes, one of whom is a libero.
The playing area
- The height of the net is 2.43 metres for men, 2.24 metres for women and 2.35 metres for mixed games.
- The court measures 9 x 18 metres.
- A 3-metre line divides the front- and back-row players.
- The ball is played with the hands or arms, but players are allowed to touch it with any part of their bodies.