How to choose your junior ice hockey stick?
If you are new to ice skating, you might have difficulty understanding certain technical terms. It's true that this sport has a vocabulary that can be hard to master for the uninitiated, but don't worry: we're here to help!
BEGINNERS TO INTERMEDIATE ICE HOCKEY STICKS
Your child wants to try out ice hockey?
The stick is a fundamental element for your child's progress. We recommend a wooden stick. These sticks are robust, giving better feel when controlling the puck.
Wood makes the stick extremely sturdy. Sticks designed for younger players are specially adapted in size, diameter and flexibility.
Sticks can be either right- or left-handed.
These sticks can also be used for roller hockey or street hockey.
UNDERSTANDING YOUR ICE HOCKEY STICK
Here you will find expressions relating to the ice-skating universe.
- Shaft: This is the main part of the stick. It bends under the weight of the player's body, creating create an elastic effect when shooting.
- Blade: This part makes contact with the ice. It is curved, allowing the player to steer the puck when shooting. The shaft and blade are made of the same material: carbon, wood, or composite.
Right- and left-handed sticks
If you are right-handed in everyday life, this doesn't necessarily mean that you are a right-handed ice hockey player. Simply try out both kinds of stick to see which one feels best.
- Right-handed stick: the left hand sits higher on the stick.
- Left-handed stick: the right hand is higher on the stick.
- Wood: wooden sticks are robust, but heavy and not easy to manoeuvre.
- Composite: sticks made of composite material are lighter and give better puck control.
- Carbon: carbon sticks are much lighter and more powerful during shoots (more elastic).
This is the measure of the stick's ability to bend when shooting.
The higher the flex, the harder the stick, and the more suited to more powerful players (40, 50, 60, 80, 90).
You should choose a stick with a flex that matches your playing style.
Hockey sticks do not have sizes. The player should cut the stick to the right size.
Sticks are cut to size with a classic saw. The top of the stick should reach to the bottom of your nose when you are in shoes, and to the chin when you are in skates.
If your stick is too big, this can be hinder your game, and also your progress.
Note: the size of the stick is measured from the heel of the stick to the tip.